Bariatric is the branch of medicine that deals with the causes, prevention, and treatment of obesity. The field encompasses dieting, exercise and behavioral therapy approaches to weight loss, as well as pharmacotherapy and surgery.
Overweight and obesity are rising medical problems of pandemic proportions. There are many detrimental health effects of obesity. Individuals with a BMI (Body Mass Index) exceeding a healthy range have a much greater risk of medical issues. These include heart disease, diabetes, many types of cancer, asthma, obstructive sleep apnea, and chronic musculoskeletal problems. There is also an effect of obesity on mortality.
People may find it difficult to lose weight on their own. It is common for dieters to have tried fad diets only to find that they gain weight, or return to their original weight, after ceasing the diet.
Although diet, exercise, behavior therapy and anti-obesity drugs are first-line treatment, medical therapy for severe obesity has limited short-term success and very poor long-term success. Weight loss surgery generally results in greater weight loss than conventional treatment, and leads to improvements in quality of life and obesity related diseases such as hypertension and diabetes. The combination of approaches used may be tailored to each patient.
Dr. Anjali Hooda Sangwan has completed her Fellowship in Obesity Medicine and Clinical Nutrition training with one of the Top 5 Obesity Physician in the US, Dr. Christopher Still. She is one of the extremely few in India, a super specialist in this complex field Obesity Medicine.
We manage all aspects of Bariatric Surgery as outlined below.
Overview of complications after bariatric surgery:
Pre-Surgery Services Include:
- Dumping syndrome: Occurs after eating sweets leading to vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhea
- Hypoglycemia: Occurring due to meals high in carbohydrate
- Cross addiction to substances
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Weight regain
- Kidney stones
- Loss of muscle
- Nutrition Evaluation with Registered Dietitian
- Behavioral aspect like depression and eating disorders management before surgery
- Medically Supervised Weight Loss Program
- Weight Loss Desired Prior to Surgery
- Medical management for optimizing of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, thyroid functions.
Post-Surgery Services Include:
- Medical and Metabolic follow-Up
- Nutrient Deficiency follow-Up
- Symptom Evaluation for above side effects and follow-Up
- Maximize Post-Surgery Weight Loss
- Weight Regain Issues
- Excessive Weight Loss
- Reactive hypoglycemia